Diabetes or medically termed as Diabetes Mellitus is a group of metabolic disorder where the blood glucose level or blood sugar level is higher, either because of poor insulin production by the pancreas or when the body’s cells are not responding to insulin aptly, or both. The person with high glucose level would typically experience frequent urination, increased thirst and gets hungry more often. There three different types of Diabetes and all will be discussed below along with its causes, symptoms and available treatment plans.
The Three Different Types of Diabetes!
- Type 1 Diabete – This is the type of this which is caused to younger adults and teenagers when their body stops producing sufficient insulin. This is a insulin dependent and hence patients with Type 1 needs to take insulin shots for rest of their life to manage glucose level in bloodstream.
- Type 2 Diabete – This is the type of Diabetes which is caused when the production of insulin is proper but the cells in body are not responding to the insulin as they become insulin resistant. It is estimated at about 90% of the world population is suffering from Type 2 and overweight people and women are at higher risk of developing this type of it.
- Gestational Diabete – As the name suggest, it is the type of Diabetes which affects only the pregnant women. During pregnancy the level of glucose increases in blood and hence the body lacks in producing sufficient insulin to transport the glucose into the cells, resulting in rising level of glucose and hence gestational Diabete is caused.
The Early Symptoms of Diabetes
- Polydipsia, polyphagia, lethargy and stupor
- Blurred vision
- Smell of acetone
- Unexplained weight loss
- Vomiting, abdominal pain and nausea
- Polyuria and glycosuria
How to Determine If you are Having Diabetes?
There are tests and examinations which are performed to determine if you are having any of these types. The most common types of tests and examinations are:
- A1C Test – This is the most common type of test which is performed to monitor the average glucose level in blood in past three months
- FPG or Fasting Plasma Glucose Test – This is the type of test which is performed to monitor the glucose level in blood in fasting state
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test – This is the test which is conducted to monitor the impaired glucose tolerance of the person
What are the Causes?
- Type 1 Diabetes is a autoimmune disorder and it is caused when the immunity of your body attacks the cells in pancreas responsible for producing insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes is a genetic disorder which is caused if someone in family is having it. It is found that several genes are involved in causing Type 2.
Controlling Diabetes Effectively
Exercising and strict diet regime is effective for controlling Diabetes mellitus in people. You need to consult your doctor to know the exercises and diet plan which you need to follow in order to control It.